What are Nightmare Sigils?
Nightmare Sigils (or "Dungeon keys") allow players to upgrade a regular Dungeon into an end-game Dungeon, called: Nightmare Dungeon. Doing so means the player will see:
- Harder Monsters: Monsters have more Life, resistances, and Elite Monster affixes
- Better loot: greater chance for Sacred (in Nightmare), Ancestral (in Torment), and Unique items
- Varied gameplay: over 70 Nightmare Dungeon affixes combine for fresh gameplay each time
Getting Nightmare Sigils
First Nightmare Sigil
Players will receive their first Nightmare Sigil near the beginning of World Tier 3: Nightmare, which, for most players, occurs between Level 45-50. The most likely way for a player to get their first Sigil is via a reward from the Tree of Whispers' Priority Quest, although one could randomly drop in the meantime from a Monster.
Upkeeping a Nightmare Sigil supply
Once entering World Tier 3, players may feel like Nightmare Sigils are in short supply; however, this will quickly change from acquiring Sigils by:
- Running Nightmare Dungeons: usually 1-3 Sigils drop per Dungeon to set players up for more
- Crafting Sigils at the Occultist: players can salvage unwanted Sigils and craft new ones
- Completing Whispers: the Tree of Whispers consistently rewards Sigils
Nightmare Sigils in Inventory
Players will accumulate so many Sigils in the Consumables tab of their Inventory that they can be choosy over which ones to keep, salvaging the rest at the Occultist to get Sigil Dust to make more. Note that clicking the Inventory's sort button orders Sigils by tier, from highest to lowest.
How do Nightmare Sigil tiers work?
Each Nightmare Sigil has a tier from 1-100, with each tier getting progressively harder with regards to Monster toughness (but also better loot). Nightmare Sigil tiers don't correspond to player levels. For example, a Level 50 player can't do a Tier 50 Nightmare Dungeon. Instead, a Tier 1 Dungeon would be suited for the Level 50 player. Tiers 1-20 are eligible to drop in World Tier 3, with Tiers 21-100 appearing in World Tier 4
Affixes per tier
As Nightmare Dungeons increase in tier, so do their number of random affixes. Sigils can have 3-5 affixes, depending on their tier.
For a full list of the 70+ affixes, see our: Nightmare Dungeon affix guide.
Negative affixes (i.e., afflictions)
All but one of the affixes on the Nightmare Sigil will be afflictions, which make the Dungeon more challenging. Afflictions can change:
- Monster abilities: increased Monster damage types and resistances, etc.
- Spawns: special events and objects that periodically try to damage the player
One of the affixes will have a positive effect on the player, such as:
- Player ability: increased damage of a certain type, better Evading, etc.
- Better loot: increased Magic Find or more Gold
Eligible Dungeons for Nightmare Sigils
Dry Steppes Nightmare Dungeons
- Ancient's Lament
- Champion's Demise
- Dark Ravine
- Guulrahn Canals
- Guulrahn Slums
- Onyx Hold
Fractured Peaks Nightmare Dungeons
- Black Asylum
- Cultist Refuge
- Kor Dragan Barracks
- Lost Archives
Hawezar Nightmare Dungeons
- Blind Burrows
- Earthen Wound
- Maugan's Works
- Serpent's Lair
- Shadowed Plunge
Kehjistan Nightmare Dungeons
- Abandoned Mineworks
- Crusaders' Cathedral
- Prison of Caldeum
- Renegade's Retreat
- Shivta Ruins
Scosglen Nightmare Dungeons
- Demon's Wake
- Ferals' Den
- Raethwind Wilds
- Sunken Ruins
- Whispering Pines
|1.0.2||Refreshed guide with Release Nightmare Sigil information|
|Beta||Refreshed guide with Open Beta Nightmare Sigil information|
|Alpha||Added text related to Nightmare Sigils & Dungeons|